Monday, November 9, 2015

Key West Comes Home

Something about Key West stays with you long after the sounds of ocean waves and

rollicking tiki bars dissipate into everyday hustle and bustle.

It’s a feeling, a state of mind that you absorb like rays of sunshine – osmosis for the soul.

If you’re lucky it dawdles deep into post-vacation, which is appropriate because nothing

and no one in Key West moves quickly.

The lingering effects of the Conch Republic are also tangible. I don’t mean souvenirs,

although I’ve brought home some extraordinary tropic wines from the Key West Winery,

white vintages from the Keys flavored with pineapple and mango. I mean the kind of

thing you look at every day, or invite people to enjoy with you so that they, too, can

indulge in the relaxation and rejuvenation that come so readily in the Florida Keys.

My love of Key West began in 2006 when my then-girlfriend (now wife) Danielle and I

made our first visit. We didn’t know what to expect, other than the stories from friends

who swore by the romance and fun that awaited us at the end of Route 1.

Falling in love was easy. We both were infatuated from the start. It began with our hotel,

Southernmost, which sits at the southern end of Duval Street, Key West’s main drag. The

opposite end of Duval Street, packed with bars and bands, can get rowdy and loud, but

Southernmost was far enough away with a private beach and tiki bar, to let the relaxation

seep in; but close enough that a quick walk put you mid-excitement.

On that first trip we explored the island tip to tail: we ate conch fritters and key lime pie;

absorbed the famous sunsets; drank with Captain Tony, God rest his ebullient soul; and

held hands atop the Key West Lighthouse, my single favorite spot in the world.

Key West became a part of us, a part of our relationship, which I later galvanized.

In 2008, we made a return trip, joined by my cousin, Ryan and his then-girlfriend (now

wife), Amanda. I had more than vacation in mind that weekend, and only Amanda and

Ryan were in on the secret – after all, I needed someone to carry the engagement ring so

Danielle didn’t find it in my suitcase.

My cousin took his job seriously, but it is worth noting that one should always ensure

they’re following TSA guidelines while carrying an engagement ring. He was stopped

and his bags searched because he had an oversized bottle of mouthwash in his carry on. I

give him credit, he talked his way out of that one by whispering that he had an

engagement ring, but it was close.

Our first day was a Saturday, and only in the background did we hear the warnings about

Tropical Storm Fay bearing down on the region.

That evening we were going to walk to the far end of Duval Street to our favorite

restaurant, Hot Tin Roof. Ryan and Amanda, per previous arrangement, ran late so

Danielle and I conveniently had to kill time by taking a stroll.

We accidentally-on-purpose happened by the Key West Lighthouse, which was closing

for the evening. Bob the lighthouse keeper was sweeping up at the front gate. In the

months prior, I had worked with The Key West Historical Society, proprietor of the Key

West Lighthouse, to set a secret plan in motion, complete with a secret code word.

Bob very nicely explained that the lighthouse was closed, but he’d let us take a walk up

while he finished cleaning.

I trembled climbing the stairs. Danielle was ahead of me and burst out onto the

observation deck before me.

At the top of the lighthouse, as the whole island sunk into a deep red sunset, I knelt and

asked her to marry me (she said yes).

Ryan and Amanda arrived shortly thereafter and joined us atop the lighthouse to soak in

the unforgettable view.

The next morning, with Tropical Storm Fay biting at our heels, we evacuated the Keys

after an abbreviated stay. But Key West, and the special memories we shared, have

remained with all of us since. Sharing a life milestone with family made Danielle and I’s

engagement that much more poignant, and the four of us frequently talk about a return

trip.

Return has not yet materialized, but I know the flavor of Key West took deep root in

Ryan and Amanda. Ryan’s love for the Keys has manifested in a building project. Over

the summer he began renovating his family’s backyard shed, turning it from lawn mower

storage into Key West tiki bar. His vision, he says, is straight out of the Conch Republic.

Once it’s finished, the story of our trip to Key West and Tropical Storm Fay will

undoubtedly be recounted numerous times.

In his song, “Magic” musician Kenny Chesney sings, “I believe there is magic here.”

Key West’s allure is otherworldly. It is intoxicating and everlasting. Once you’re there,

you never really leave. It could only be supernatural.

My wife and I made sure “Magic” was played during our wedding reception.

####

No comments:

Post a Comment