Sunday, August 29, 2010

America, to go

Apparently the good ole' United States wasn't done with us just yet. An hour and a half delay put us at the Newark airport about 5 hours early. Thus, here I sit observing the international terminal C trying to guess who hails from what country by using the most stereotypes I can remember. Hey, its passing the time. I do, however, appreciate that out the window NeW York City shuffles hazy on the horizon. The city reminds me that despite all its ills (Glenn Beck had a rally? Really people? That's enough already. Just stop listening and he'll go away and we can all go back to the normal non-in-person fear mongering that we"re all accustomed to from the GOP), I love America. So Danielle and I decided to show our patriotism by knocking off a few hours at the Ruby Diner here in terminal C. What better way to kick off a whirlwind European tour than sharing a plate of chicken fingers, fries and two straws from a chocolate shake? If I didn't know I was in Newark (and believe me, we're definitely in New Jersey, you should see the high heels and hoop earrings fluttering around this place, not your typical travel attire), I'd think we flew back in time to a sock hop. All we needed was the poodle skirt. And thus we took a little bit of home. Danielle just got back from the checkin counter at our gate. She had them add our sky mile points to this trip. Oh a whim she asked how much to upgrade our seats for the flight to Paris. If it was a few hundred, maybe wed do it, she said, its our honeymoon. "That would be 6000 dollars. Do you still want to upgrade?" Then he mocked us by saying, "Paris on your honeymoon? That's original." And we're back to the European state of mind. I love you America, see you in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment